The Sevgili Murat video program was produced under the direction of the NMELRC, led by Suzan Ozel, Sylvia Onder and Filiz Cicek.
The two DVD set Sevgili Murat contains the film (144 minutes) together with a full transcript and glossaries, but no subtitles. It is ready to be shipped today!
For more information contact NMELRC at (801) 422-7192 or email@example.com.
To purchase Sevgili Murat on DVD, click here.
A 2-DVD set called Sevgili Murat consists of the main story line edited together without any instructional components such as subtitles, exercises, etc. This film gives students of Turkish a chance to listen to and observe a variety of communicative situations in a natural setting, while at the same time seeing and hearing images and sounds of life in Turkey.
To facilitate using this film for classroom use, it is accompanied by an on-line scene list which can be downloaded from nmelrc.org, presenting linguistic features of the individual scenes, an overview of topics and situations featured in the film. This provides an outline to help professors use the video in class so they can manipulate it for their own purposes. The list outlines key items which either illustrate linguistic features or the contents of a scene. Various situations, like greeting, thanking, leaving, ordering, and arranging a meeting are repeated throughout the film, as are topics like numbers, work, and family. These repetitions allow for this group of scenes to be used independently from the film story, as models to teach basic situations and topics.
A few words from Suzan Ozel, the project director:
Sevgili Murat tells how Turkish-American student Murat spends a summer to "re-discover" the Turkey of his childhood. This film will give learners a chance to listen to and observe a variety of communicative situations in relatively natural settings, while at the same time experiencing images and sounds of life in Turkey.
Several components add value to this film as an instructional tool:
A) The DVDs contain:
- The film (presented in its full length of 144 minutes), by individual scenes (72 in total) or by smaller scene segments.
- The film transcript, glossaries, and list of scenes, in printable format.
- Files with supplementary materials are located in a special folder on each disk. You won't find them on the Menu page of the disks; you have to open the folder named "Supplementary Materials."
B) This website features:
- Exercises to accompany the film for elementary-level courses. These can be downloaded and printed. Exercises are being developed progressively. Please check for updates.
Click here to download the current set of exercises (for scenes 1-12). (File is in .doc Microsoft Word Format.)
- An annotated list of scenes: This contains communicative functions (e.g., 'greeting,' 'leave taking,' 'requesting information'...), topics ('family,' 'numbers,' 'work,' 'food,' 'Murat's story'...) as well as place names and locales ('Sultanahmet,' 'Kadiköy,' 'Beşiktaş İskelesi,' 'kampus,' 'apartman'...) that are covered in the scenes.
Click here to download the annotated list of scenes to help use Sevgili Murat in your Turkish language courses. (File is in .doc Microsoft Word Format.)
- A glossary of words and phrases used in each scene of the film.
Click here to download the glossary. (File is in .doc Microsoft Word Format.)
- A transcript of all movie dialogue.
Click here to download the transcript. (File is in .doc Microsoft Word Format.)
We hope you will enjoy using Sevgili Murat in your Turkish language courses. We welcome your comments on the film and extra materials. Feel free to contact us and help us further develop this important resource.
Sample Video Clip
Here is a sample scene from Sevgili Murat - An Instructional Film in Modern Turkish (Requires QuickTime to play. It could take a few moments to load correctly.)